Thursday, April 12, 2012

Day #4

11:00am Update:

Running a little behind today on the blogging...since I don't get paid to blog it has a slightly lower priority than my day job. Anyway, I just finished conducting some training for our supervisors and I've got a few minutes to get this blog updated for the morning. Afternoon will likewise be pretty busy, so I'm going to try to throw as much as possible into this update in case I don't have time later.

This morning I got up at 4:30am and met some friends at the YMCA in Downtown Montgomery for a CoreZone workout. What is CoreZone? Here is a video that will give you the basic concept - click HERE. This machine has numerous ropes, pulleys, bands, etc. and each exercise that you do heavily involves core stabilization. Don't let it fool you though, you are working A LOT more than just your core, and if you do it right, this is a cardio intense exercise. We worked out in a circuit format for close to an hour. In some ways it is very similar to our Boot Camp concept. While I am following the intermittent fasting (I.F.) protocol, I really want to avoid doing cardio because I am trying to maintain or gain weight. For that reason, I want all of the calories I'm expending through exercise to come from strength training to promote muscle growth.

Adjusting to the fasting schedule:

I have to say, the adjustment to the fasting schedule has been much easier than I anticipated. It is probably due to the fact that I was already very regimented with my meals. I had set times I would eat snacks and meals, and because of that I am pretty good at avoiding "impulse" eating. If I do get waves of hunger, they are typically mild and temporary. In fact, I originally planned to break the fast on the weekends, but now I see no reason to...so as long as I feel like I'm seeing positive results, I'm going to keep moving forward.


Why are you starving yourself?:

Haha...this is what one of my brothers asked me last night as we were eating dinner. You know how siblings are...they typically don't listen to what you have to say. Anyway, despite explaining the concept, methodology, and my goals to him previously, I had to once again reiterate that #1 - I am trying to consume as much or MORE calories as I regularly do. #2 - I feel stuffed more often than I feel hungry due to the large meals I'm trying to eat. #3 - I am not trying to lose weight...although I suppose it would be reasonable to see a few pounds drop in weight if I can't build muscle on pace with burning fat. I'm sure he was picking on me, but just in case anyone else got the wrong impression hopefully this will clarify things.


BCAAs the right way:

I finally got a good BCAA supplement in yesterday and started taking it today. The BCAA mix I was taking earlier in the week is Optimum Nutrition Amino Energy. This mix contains BCAAs, but I honestly don't know how much because the amounts of amino acids in their "amino blend" is proprietary. Additionally, it has 4g carbs and 20 calories for the amount I was taking. During the fasting phase, I really shouldn't be consuming calories or carbs, although I don't think 4g carbs is going to trash my progress. One thing I liked about the Amino Energy is it had caffeine...which always helps in an early morning workout. Therefore, I may continue to take the Amino Energy pre-workout only, and then use the new BCAAs going forward. The BCAAs I will be taking going forward is Scivation Xtend. It has 0 sugars, 0 calories, 0 carbs...yet provides the 10g BCAAs that I need in order to fuel protein synthesis during fasted training. Got the green apple flavor...not bad, just powerful. Will order the watermelon flavor next :)


Stubborn body fat and Yohimbine HCL:

Along with my new BCAAs, I ordered some Yohimbine HCL. This is a natural herb that some studies suggest may help reduce stubborn fat deposits around the lower abs and back in lean men. It sounds pretty ridiculous, but there is a valid explanation. The body fat around men's lower abs and back has a higher proportion of alpha-2 receptors than beta-2 receptors. Without going into a lot of detail, fat that has a high proportion of b2 receptors can be considered "easy" fat to burn, whereas fat that has a high proportion of a2 receptors is considered "really hard" to burn. Men carry this kind of fat in their lower abs and back, women carry it in their hips and thighs. Yohimbine is an alpha-2 inhibitor, meaning it can "block" the a2 receptors allowing this stubborn fat to become "less stubborn." Keep in mind, Yohimbine is not a fat burner, nor is it going to be useful for someone who isn't already pretty lean. The I.F. protocol alone results in some a2 inhibition, but the Yohimbine can help speed up this process. I'm starting out with a very low dosage, and will increase gradually.

Ok...that is about all I've got for now. Took my Amino Energy this morning at 5:15am, worked out from 5:40 to 6:40ish, took the Xtend BCAAs at 7am, 9:30am, and will take some again in a few minutes. I'm also thinking about lifting weights at lunch for a few minutes. I missed my chest and triceps workout this morning so I'd like to catch up on that. Then after the workout, my favorite time of the day...lunch!


2:00pm Update:

Oh my gosh I feel stuffed...ugh. I did end up working out chest and triceps for about 30 minutes before I ate lunch. For lunch I had a protein shake, banana, turkey sandwich, peanut butter and jelly sandwich, some multi-grain wheat thins, some yogurt, and a few cocoa powdered almonds. I know I have to eat again at 3:30...hopefully I'll be able to.


10:00pm Update:

For dinner I ate a Royal Red Robin Burger, fries, and a coke. I figure hey, if I'm trying to make sure I keep my calories up, why not eat about 1,800 in one sitting! BTW...it was DELICIOUS! Wouldn't it be awesome if I did this, and still ended up losing some body fat this week? I know, I know...a lofty goal, but we'll know in another 3 days!

No comments:

Post a Comment