Monday, April 9, 2012

Day #1

8:00am Update:

It's been 12 hours since I've had anything other than water, and so far so good. Today (Monday), would normally be a workout day and I would have been at the gym at 5am doing a back and biceps workout. However, I had to conduct some annual EEO/No Harassment Training for our supervisors in an operations meeting early this morning...so had to skip the gym, or get up at 4am. It just felt like a good day for a rest day :) I felt a few brief hunger pains around 6:15 and 6:30 this morning, but they weren't bad and they left quickly. Drinking water helps. I think I'm going to be much hungrier on workout days due to the additional activity, so I'm fully expecting my stomach to be screaming at this time tomorrow morning.


10:00am Update:

Still fasting! Since I'm not doubled over with hunger pains I've decided to go ahead and push it past the 14 hour window and try to get closer to the 16 hour window that I'll eventually need to get to. I'm not going to lie, I think about food a lot...but I think about food a lot normally. I have become so regimented with when I eat that I kind of break up my day with snacks, so I'm typically looking at the clock in relation to when my next snack is. Anyway, aside from a big stomach growl at 9:30am, I have found this surprisingly easy today. I am sure tomorrow will be a completely different story since I'll wake up earlier, and will lift weights. So, for all of the complaining I'm not doing today, I'll have to double that up for tomorrow :)


11:20am Update:

Looks like I'm going to make it to 12pm on Day #1. I am definitely ready to eat but again, it's more because I like food than because I'm extremely hungry. I need this first meal to contain plenty of calories to make up for breakfast and morning snack, so I'll probably be eating quite a bit of food. I'll also make my afternoon snack at 3:30pm a little larger than normal. I wonder what Leigh is going to cook for dinner?


12:10pm Update:

I ended up breaking the fast at 11:45am, just a few minutes early. It's amazing how I didn't feel that hungry until I started eating...now I'm tearing through some food and I'm still hungry. Maybe by the time I finish lunch I''ll be full. What's for lunch? 6 inch Subway Turkey and Ham on wheat w/ cheese, lettuce, tomato, spinach, and light mayo + a banana + 30 cocoa powdered dark chocolate almonds + mozzarella stick + sun chips + yogurt + a few multigrain wheat thins + some fresh fruit (grapes, pineapple, strawberries). Yum!


2:00pm Update:


Zzzzzzz.... Wow, I should have seen this one coming! I just had the biggest glucose crash I've had in a while. After the 16 hour fast, and then a big meal packed with plenty of foods that are medium and high on the Glycemic Index (GI), I experienced a big blood sugar and insulin spike. And of course, after that rapid spike...comes the crash. Check out the little chart I found that graphs the influence of the Glycemic Index on the Blood Glucose Level. Looks just about right to me. I was feeling fantastic until about 1:30pm, right at an hour after eating...and then boom! Crash and burn!

The crash hit me hard...and I've got to be productive this afternoon. Good thing I've got my Amino Energy mix with me today (BCAA's + plenty of caffeine). I took a quick serving of that and I'm already feeling much better. I'll just have to remember to focus on low GI foods for lunch  to try to avoid a gigantic spike like I did today. Speaking of...if there are any of you out there who get EXTREMELY tired in the early afternoon after a meal...you are probably experiencing a glucose crash due to consumption of high GI foods. Check out what you are eating against the GI and try to swap some high GI foods out for low GI foods to avoid this.

Anyway, I'm pretty excited about seeing how tomorrow goes working out. I'm sure it will be a challenge. Next meal is at 3:30pm!


8:00pm Update:

Day #1 is in the books. For my 2nd meal of the day at around 3:45pm, I had an apple + a PBJ on 100% whole wheat w/ all-natural peanut butter and strawberry jam + a muscle milk light + a mozzarella stick. For my final meal of the day at 7:15pm, I had a Chick-fil-a Char-grilled Sandwich + a medium carrot raisin salad. then at about 7:45pm I squeezed in a small cup of frozen yogurt w/ a little chocolate syrup + a casein protein shake w/ skim milk. I feel like the fasting on non-training days is pretty easy to do...the real test will come tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment