Monday, April 23, 2012

Day #15 - Week 2 Evaluation

8:45am Update:

Alright, catching up from yesterday...here is the week 2 evaluation:

Matt's Evaluation - Week 2

Weight: 190.2 lbs (down 2lbs from last week)
Body fat %: 10.49% (down .45% from last week)
Body fat lbs: 19.94 (down 1.09 lbs from last week)
Lean lbs: 170.26 (down .91 lbs lbs from last week)
Pinch test (millimeters): Chest - 5 (down 1mm), Abdominal - 16, Thigh - 13 (down 1mm), Tricep - 9, Subscapular - 10, Suprailiac - 9, Midaxillary - 9 (down 1mm)
Circumference measurements (Inches): Bicep - 14.5, Flexed Bicep - 16, Chest 41.75 (down .25 inches), Waist - 35.5 (down .5 inches), Calf - 15.25, Thigh - 23.25 (down .25 inches)
*Note: Waist measurement is around the broadest part of my waist; right below the belly button where I carry all of my fat. It is my goal to reduce this measurement significantly.


Relaxed Pose

Relaxed Side Pose

Flexed Pose

Analysis:
Weight drop was pretty big, but I think it is just a fluctuation of food/water. Reason being, I weighed this morning and was back up to 192.2 lbs. Not really sure what my actual weight loss is now...I'd guess maybe a half pound or so? Over several measurements I'll be able to determine what my true weight is. The good news is I am continuing to trend down in body fat, and in circumference measurements around my waist. The  fat loss is slow,  but that is how I need it to be if I'm going to maintain my lean weight. I've been able to maintain or increase strength at the gym, so I'm really happy about that. Finally, when comparing the photos from this evaluation to my initial, I can see some fat reduction around my love handles. It is subtle, but it's definitely there. I'd guess that is where the majority of the 1 inch that I've lost around my waist has come from since my abdominal pinch test has not changed. All in all, good progress after 2 weeks. Hope to see similar progress again this week.

Leigh's Evaluation - Week 2

Weight: 119.4 lbs (up .4 lbs from last week)
Body fat %: 24.15% (down 1.19% from last week)
Body fat lbs: 28.83 (down 1.33 lbs from last week)
Lean lbs: 90.57 (up 1.73 lbs from last week)
Pinch test (millimeters): Chest - 12 (up 1mm), Abdominal - 24 (down 1mm), Thigh - 19 (down 3mm), Tricep - 18, Subscapular - 15 (down 1mm), Suprailiac - 16 (down 3mm), Midaxillary - 19
Circumference measurements (Inches): Bicep - 10.5, Hips 37, Waist - 30.75 (up .25 inches), Calf - 13, Thigh - 20 (down .5 inches)

No photos for Leigh this week. Will catch up and get them next week.


Analysis:
Leigh continues to drop body fat % at a much faster rate than expected, but has actually increased her weight. There are a few possibilities here, because I don't really think these numbers are telling the story correctly. #1 - Leigh's true weight has actually decreased, but on eval mornings she's been heavier. Throughout the week Leigh has fluctuated anywhere from 117 up to 119.4. There is a phenomenon some people call the "woosh" effect, which is more common in women, where body weight holds steady despite diet and exercise, and then seemingly overnight, you see 2-3 lbs of weight loss all at once. This is most likely due to fluctuations in sodium/water intake. Not sure if this is happening with Leigh or not, but I'm still expecting to see a drop in a few pounds at the next eval. #2 - My initial measurements were off, and I over-estimated Leigh's body fat %. It is reasonable to expect that if Leigh has dropped over 2% body fat by this point, she would have also lost some weight loss. If weight doesn't drop soon, it's possible the initial measurements were off. #3 - Leigh really is putting on lean muscle fast. Leigh has been lifting heavier at the gym, and getting better protein intake than normal. It is possible that this change in routine has spurred on some quick lean mass gains. Future evaluations will reveal what is actually taking place. Overall, Leigh's progress is looking really good, and the area she is seeing the most changes are her legs. Going to keep having her focus on squats, and deadlifts!

Today's Workout:

Had a solid workout this morning. Maintaining or even increasing strength again. Here is what I did today:


Wide Grip Pull-Ups
Body weight + 25lbs - 9 reps
Body weight + 25lbs - 7 reps 
Body weight + 25lbs - 7 reps 
Body weight - 11 reps 

Lat Pull-Down w/ Handles
160lbs - 12 reps
175lbs - 10 reps
175lbs - 10 reps 
175lbs - 8 reps


Seated Bent Over Dumbbell Row (both arms at same time)
55lbs - 10 reps
55lbs - 10 reps
50lbs - 10 reps
50lbs - 10 reps 


Heavy Lawnmower Dumbbell Row (one arm at a time)
100lbs - 12 reps
100lbs - 12 reps 
100lbs - 12 reps 
100lbs - 12 reps  


Hanging Chin-Ups (full range of motion)
Body Weight - 9 reps
Body Weight - 9 reps
Body Weight - 7 reps
Body Weight - 6 reps 


Cable Concentration Curl (single arm)
40lbs - 12 reps
40lbs - 10 reps
35lbs - 8 reps

Dead Lifts
225lbs - 8 reps
295lbs - 6 reps
315lbs - 5 reps 



I am really enjoying the heavy deadlifts, something I've always avoided in the past. I can still feel some room to grow there, so each workout I'm going to try to push the weight up, and stick closer to the 4-6 rep range. Took 10g BCAAs at 5am, 10mg Yohimbine at 6:15am, 10g BCAAs at 7am, 10mg Yohimbine at 8:15am, and will take the following before lunch at 12pm: 9am - 10g BCAAs, 10:15am - 10mg Yohimbine, 11am - 10g BCAAs.


Scripture for the day:

Matthew 5:33-37 33 “Again, you have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘Do not break your oath, but fulfill to the Lord the vows you have made.’ 34 But I tell you, do not swear an oath at all: either by heaven, for it is God’s throne; 35 or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King. 36 And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black. 37 All you need to say is simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything beyond this comes from the evil one."


I was thinking about this passage in the context of following through on commitments. How often have we told someone we are going to do something, be somewhere, etc...but then don't follow through? When that happens it can cause others to question our commitment...maybe even our integrity. When we don't follow through on things, the next time we have to "add" a little something so that people believe that "this time" we really mean it. So that is when we "promise" or "swear" that we are going to do something. If we are men and women who consistently do what we say...this is unnecessary. Simply let your yes be yes, and your no be no. Now, take that a step further, beyond the commitments we make to others. How about the commitments we make to God in prayer? This is a convicting thought, because I know that I've made promises to God that I haven't upheld. I pray that I can be consistent with the things I've committed to do before God.

No comments:

Post a Comment