Thursday, April 26, 2012

Day #18


Had a decent, although very short chest/triceps workout today. I haven’t done a real bench press in probably going on a year and a half. The gym I workout at has dumbbells, but no flat bench…and to be honest I think dumbbells are a better anyway because of the additional stabilization required. It also requires proper proportion in both sides of your body, whereas a barbell bench press can allow you to compensate for a weakness on one side. However, the gym at Heritage (where we do our Boot Camp) only has dumbbells up to 75lbs…so I needed something heavier. After not doing a bench press in so long, I figured it would feel different and be a challenge…but I still expected to be able to lift more than I did. Oh well…as long as I’m not losing strength on my dumbbells I can deal with having to build up on the bench again. Here is what I did today:

Bench Press:
135lbs – 8 reps (warm up)
185lbs – 10 reps
225lbs – 4 reps
207lbs – 8 reps

Incline Dumbbell Press:
75lbs – 10 reps
75lbs – 10 reps
75lbs – 8 reps
75lbs – 8 reps

Dips:
Body weight + 45lbs – 12 reps
Body weight + 45lbs – 10 reps
Body weight + 45lbs – 10 reps
Body weight + 45lbs – 8 reps

I took 10g BCAAs before the workout, and 10mg Yohimbine immediately after, then I followed my regular schedule until I ate at lunch.

Salvation…can it be lost?

I know that this is a subject that many Christians may disagree on, but my brother Steve and I had a good conversation about it this morning so it has been on my mind. The conversation came about because a friend of Steve’s believes that salvation can be lost, and he laid out his case (in a loving way) to his friend on why he believes in “once saved, always saved.” I think the scripture is clear on this issue, but anecdotal experience may have convinced some believers otherwise. What I mean by this is they see a person who professes salvation, but yet at some time later “falls away” and either never, or no longer demonstrates the Love of Christ and the fruit of the Spirit. It might appear that this person has “lost” their salvation. I disagree with this assertion, primarily based upon scripture. Here are just a few verses, and some of my comments.

Ephesians 4:32 “Do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.”  Paul speaking to other believers said that they were sealed (already done) for the day of redemption (eternal life) by the Holy Spirit of God. This sounds like a guarantee if there ever was one.

John 10: 27-29 My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand.Notice that Jesus says “I give” present tense, not “I will give” them eternal life. They already have it. Also note how no one can snatch them out of His Father’s hand. Could our salvation ever be in a more secure place?

I think another big problem is that we have a natural ego-centric view of the world. We always feel like we need to do, or we can do something. This is the hang up many people have with salvation…they feel like they have to “do” something to merit it. Scripture is very clear that the work necessary to pay for my and your salvation has already been accomplished. We couldn’t do a thing to earn our salvation, what makes us think we can somehow do something to lose it?

I would submit that those who have “walked away from the faith” either 1) Were never truly saved in the first place. They may have made a false profession, or may not have truly put their faith and trust in Christ. 2) Are indeed saved, but are living in rebellion and disobedience. If this is the case, they will have grieved the Holy Spirit (see Ephesians 4:32 above) and will likely have conflict in their heart over the decisions they are making.

So what is the take away from all of this? If you have put your faith and trust in the finished work of Jesus Christ, and have accepted Him into your heart as your Savior, and your Lord…then your salvation is secure. That my friends is freedom and assurance. Praise the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment