Sunday, May 20, 2012

Day #42 - Week 6 Evaluation - Single Digits!

Finally! For the first time since I was a bean-pole in high school I made it down to single digit body fat%!!! I admit I did much better on my macro-nutrient intake this week and I bet that had something to do with it. Basically, I didn't have a ridiculous cheat meal like I had been doing just about every week...funny how that works huh?


Come a Long Way:

Since single digits is somewhat of a milestone, I thought I'd break out some old photos for fun. Here are some pictures from 2008 where I was my biggest. I weighed 240lbs and was probably 30% body fat. I ate like junk and didn't exercise at all. The crazy thing is I had no idea that I had let myself get fat. I looked at myself every day in the mirror but didn't see it. It was these pictures that finally opened up my eyes and convinced me that I needed to make a change.




Here are some photos from 2010. At this point I had made significant changes in my eating and exercise habits, and I had started participating and leading in boot camps. I was in decent shape, but still had some body fat that I needed to shed. I was probably about 200lbs in this photo and around 18% body fat (estimate). 




No matter where you are at on your health and fitness journey, realize that huge changes are possible with consistency. Don't blame genetics...if you do you are selling yourself short! Don't give up and think just because you are overweight now that you will always be overweight. Habits trump genetics 99 times out of 100. My journey didn't happen overnight, so don't quit if yours doesn't either. Start moving in the right direction and you may look back after a few years and be amazed at the changes you've made!


Matt's Week 6 Evaluation

Weight: 190.2lbs (back up from week 4 eval)
Body fat%: 9.72% (down .38 from last week)
Body fat lbs: 18.48 lbs (down .88 lbs)
Lean lbs: 171.72 lbs (up .88 lbs)
Pinch test (millimeters): Chest - 5, Abdominal - 14 (down 1mm), Thigh - 12 (down 1mm), Tricep - 9, Subscapular - 10 (down 1mm), Suprailliac - 8, Midaxillary - 8.
Circumference measurements (inches): Bicep - 14.5, Flexed Bicep - 16, Chest - 42, Waist - 35.25, Calf - 15.25, Thigh - 23.5 (all measurements stayed the same this week)


 Relaxed Pose

 Side Pose

Flexed Pose 


Analysis:

Strength continues to go up on all strength markers. It feels awesome going into the gym just knowing that even though I pushed it last time and lifted more than I've ever lifted...it wasn't a fluke and I can do it again! I feel like I've got my calorie intake estimate down pretty well since I've been able to hover around 190.2 lbs pretty consistently for a few weeks now (baring the week I was on antibiotics and lost my appetite). I have to admit that was a little skeptical of the I.F. plan before I started it...but I was willing to give it a try. Now I've got to say that it has exceeded my expectations and all of the science in theory seems to be working in practice. My goal is still to make it to 8%. I honestly didn't know how realistic that goal was before starting the plan...but now, I'm 100% confident that I'm going to get there. Give me another 6 weeks and we'll see what happens!


* Note: Leigh didn't want to take photos today, but we did do her eval. Numbers looked good, so we'll have a full post with numbers and photos next week.

Scripture for the Day:



Galatians 2:20 - "I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me."


AMEN!

1 comment:

  1. This journey for you and Leigh is incredible!! You are right, consistency is key. What I admire about you is the fact that you have 'been there'. You were not always fit and trim. You struggled just like 'normal' people but you were determined to change your habits - and you did it!! 9.72% body fat is incredible!! You actually look younger now - 4 years later - than you did in 08. And you should be very proud of your accomplishments. You look fantastic and I know you feel much better now. Keep inspiring us and thanks for being a Major Pain :o) - Carole

    ReplyDelete