Sunday, May 13, 2012

Day #35 - Does fasted training make you stronger?

Does training fasted result in greater strength gains than training in the fed state?

Ultimately, I don't have a definitive answer, but I have seen significant gains over the past month while training fasted. It seems like almost every workout I'm adding weight or adding reps. I was not seeing this kind of consistent gain while training in the fed state. Last week I had the strongest chest/triceps workout I've had, and then today I blew that one out of the water. Gains in my chest/tricep workout is significant to me because it is the workout that I've done most consistently for a long period of time. Some of my other workouts I've either lifted further below my strength potential (squats), or I'm doing lifts that I've only recently started doing (i.e. dead lifts and front squats). Gains in DB Chest presses come hard and slow.

Today, here is what I lifted compared to the workout I did right before starting I.F.

Dumbbell Press 5/13/12:
100lbs - 13 reps
100lbs - 11 reps
100lbs - 9 reps
100lbs - 8 reps
Total load - 4,100 lbs


Dumbbell Press 4/01/12:
100lbs - 11 reps
100lbs - 8 reps
95lbs - 8 reps
90lbs - 8 reps
Total load - 3,380 lbs



Incline Dumbbell Press 5/13/12:
95lbs - 8 reps
90lbs - 8 reps
85lbs - 10 reps
80lbs - 10 reps
Total load - 3,130 lbs


Incline Dumbbell Press 4/01/12:
80lbs - 8 reps
75lbs - 8 reps
70lbs - 9 reps
65lbs - 10 reps
Total load - 2,520 lbs


As you can see. these are significant gains in just over a month, especially since I've been doing this workout for a while. This makes me wonder...why am I getting stronger so much faster than before? Can fasted training make you stronger than fed training? If the answer is yes (and I believe it is) here are a few theories/explanations as to why.

1) The "Fight or Flight" Theory (unscientific)
Humans have not always had supermarkets, fast food, and vending machines. In less modern times, men went out and hunted for their food and they wouldn't have any food to eat all day until they drug something home. If the body grew weak without food every few hours, most of our great, great, great, great, great, great...you get the idea...grandfathers wouldn't have been successful at providing food for their families. At times of stress certain hormones and enzymes kick in, giving our body what it needs to perform.

2) Catecholamines -The "Fight or Flight" Theory (scientific)
When your body is placed under stress, it releases hormones called catecholamines, one of which is epinephrine (adrenaline). Heavy strength training increases the catecholamines your body produces, and studies suggest that fasted training increases catecholamines even more. Catecholamines cause general physiological changes that prepare the body for physical activity including  increases in heart rate, blood pressure, blood glucose levels, and a general reaction of the sympathetic nervous system (fight of flight).


 3) p70s6 Kinase
A study published in the European Journal of Applied Physiology in 2010 compared controlled groups training fasted versus training fed. The fasted group had twice the concentration of the enzyme p70s6k post workout. "Among other things, increased levels of p70s6k may lead to a faster transport of amino acids into the muscle cell membranes, which should lead to a more rapid and potent anabolic response to post-workout nutrient ingestion. The effects seen on the other myogenic signaling mechanisms could also affect muscle growth through other pathways." In other words, after fasted training, your body is primed to utilize the nutrients that you eat to rebuild itself more efficiently. The downside of fasted training is muscle catabolism due to the lack of available amino acids. This is where Berkan suggests taking 10g BCAAs at various intervals during the fasted period to "sidestep" the negatives of fasted training, and reap all of the benefits.


4) Various other uncontrolled factors
I've got numerous variables in my I.F. plan, and I haven't been performing a controlled study, so I can't definitively say what is the cause of strength increases. If I had to guess, I'd say it is a combination of the items listed above, and also better tracking of my workouts, so that my mind is right and I'm pushing myself each workout.


Evaluation Today:

We did do our evaluations today, but the vast majority of the numbers stayed the same. I did gain back up to 190.2, but also dropped my body fat from 10.33 to 10.1%, so I am pretty excited about that. We will probably post pictures and eval numbers next weekend.

Scripture for the day:

Galations 6:14 "May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world."

I saw this verse tattooed on the guy who won the 2011 Crossfit Games on ESPN. While I'm not a fan of tattoos, I thought this was a pretty awesome testimony. This guy is one of the fittest, most athletic guys in the world, and he has a constant reminder about boasting only in the cross of his Savior Jesus Christ. That has got to be the most awesome tattoo ever!


No comments:

Post a Comment