Sunday, May 6, 2012

Day #28 - Week 4 Evaluation

After 4 weeks of reasonable adherence to the Intermittent Fasting program (as outlined by Martin Berkhan - LeanGains.com), it's time to see if this stuff is "the real deal." Just by way of context, late last year I was able to get down to 10.06% body fat (the lowest I've been in recent history). I accomplished this by working out quite a bit (6 days a week, and sometimes twice a day) and eating pretty clean - i.e. avoiding junk food, fast food, etc. Despite all of this, I was never able to push past the 10% barrier. I am hoping that the controversial science of Intermittent Fasting is able to help me get into single digits, and help me to hit my goal of 8% body fat.

Just to recap a few things, here are the goals I hoped to accomplish:
  1. I’d like to drop 1.25% body fat over the next 4-6 weeks, bringing my body fat % back down to 10%.
  2. I’d like to do this without losing much weight
  3. I’d really like to increase muscle mass.
  4. I’d like to retain or increase my strength at the gym.
      Confession: I haven't been eating as clean as I normally do. Over the last 4 weeks, we've ordered pizza 3 times, eaten at Red Robin, China King, and I've had cake and ice cream more than once :) The bottom line is, I haven't been as strict on my macro-nutrient content during the last 4 weeks, so successful results will validate that intermittent fasting really is an efficient method to burn fat.

a    What I'm looking for: There are 4 things I am looking for in the evaluation analysis. 1) Body Composition - was I able to reduce body fat %? 2) Circumference Measurements - these will help confirm the body composition results. 3) Strength Markers - was I able to maintain or increase strength in my workouts? 4) Visual Comparisons - this one is obvious...do I look like I've reduced fat, increased muscle, or both?


Matt's Evaluation Week 4 and Pre-Program Comparison:

*First number listed is the 5/6/12 eval. Second number listed is the 4/8/12 eval.
Weight: 189.4lbs | 192.4lbs  (decreased 3.00 lbs)
Body fat %: 10.33% | 11.25% (decreased 0.92%)
Body fat lbs: 19.57lbs | 21.64lbs (decreased 2.07lbs)
Lean lbs: 169.83lbs | 170.76lbs (decreased 0.93lbs)

Pinch test (millimeters):
Chest: 5 | 6 (decreased 1mm)
Abdominal: 16 | 16 (same)
Thigh: 13 | 14 (decreased 1mm)
Triceps: 9 | 10 (decreased 1mm)
Subscapular 11 | 12 (decreased 1mm)
Suprailiac: 8 | 8 (same)
Midaxillary: 8 | 10 (decreased 2mm)

Circumference measurements (inches):
Bicep: 14.5 | 14.5 (same)
Flexed Bicep: 16 | 16 (same)
Chest: 42 | 41.75 (increased 0.25 inches)
Waist: 35.25 | 36.5 (decreased 1.25 inches)
Thigh: 23.5 | 23.5 (same)
Calf: 15.25 | 15.25 (same)

Strength Markers: (comparing heaviest 2 sets in most recent and initial workout)

*First numbers are from the most recent workout. Second numbers are from the first workout while on the I.F. plan.
Squats:
Set 1: 315lbs - 6 reps | 275lbs - 8 reps
Set 2: 335lbs - 5 reps | 295lbs - 8 reps
* Significant increase in weight. Fewer reps due to increase in weight, but definitely more strength.

Deep Front Squats:
Set 1: 185lbs - 6 reps | 135lbs - 12 reps
Set 2: 205lbs - 4 reps | 145lbs - 10 reps
* Really big increase in strength here. I feel much stronger on front squats. First set I start with 155lbs now.

Pull-Ups:
Set 1: Body weight + 25lbs - 10 reps | Body weight - 11 reps
Set 2: Body weight + 25lbs - 8 reps | Body weight - 9 reps
* Added 25lbs and only 1 rep behind on each set. Definitely increased.

Dead-lifts:
Set 1: 315lbs - 6 reps | 225lbs - 8 reps
Set 2: 335lbs - 4 reps | 225lbs - 8 reps
* Huge increase in strength. Lifting much more weight on dead-lifts now.

Dumbbell Press:
Set 1: 100lbs - 11 reps | 100lbs - 11 reps
Set 2: 100lbs - 11 reps | 100lbs - 9 reps
* Solid strength increase on second and subsequent sets.

Incline Dumbbell Press:
Set 1: 90lbs - 9 reps | 80lbs - 9 reps
Set 2: 90lbs - 8 reps | 80lbs - 8 reps
* Significant increase on all sets. 

Visual Comparison: (comparing photos from week 4 and pre-program)

(Click on photos to view larger)

Relaxed Pose: While the changes are slight, it appears that overall muscle definition has increased. The most obvious body fat decrease are in my love handles.


Relaxed Side Pose: I think this photo shows the most change. I decreased my waist circumference measurement 1.25 inches in the last 4 weeks. I can see more cut lines in my abdominal area, and my triceps definition is better. I may have been standing more upright in the second photo, but I was relaxing my abs in both pictures, so there is definitely some thinning out in the abdominal area.

 Flexed Pose: This photo again shows some increased cut lines through the entire abdominal area, and some tapering of the love handles.Overall muscle size looks at least the same, maybe even a small increase.

Overall Analysis:


In short, I am a believer and I'm going to stay on the I.F. program to see if I can make it to my 8% goal. I would have liked to get down below 10%, but I did drop almost an entire percent in 4 weeks, so I'll take that. Also, while my body composition shows I lost 2lbs of fat, and almost a pound of lean mass, I really don't think I lost any lean mass...I'll explain. The area I seem to have lost the most body fat in is my love handles...and that is an area that we didn't do a pinch test on. Additionally, every single one of my strength markers shows an increase...not just a neutral result. I don't know many cases where people increase lifting strength while losing muscle. That means it's possible that I probably lost more body fat than my body composition numbers show, and I was probably neutral, or even had a small increase in my muscle mass. The goal was lean gains - losing fat while gaining muscle, and when looking at all of the evidence together (weight, body composition, circumference measurements, strength markers, and visual comparison) I think that is exactly what happened. I'm going to go another 4 weeks, and if the plan continues to work, future changes should be much more obvious as body fat loss at this point will really reveal muscle definition. I should add that while I certainly splurged a good bit more than I normally do - eating pizza, burgers, Chinese, etc...I also ate fairly healthy for the majority of the program. If anyone else wants to try intermittent fasting, don't think it is a magical method that will allow you to eat fast food 24/7 and get good results. Intelligent exercise and nutrition are vital in any type of health and fitness goal you may set out to achieve.


Leigh's Evaluation Week 4 and Pre-Program Comparison:

*First number listed is the 5/6/12 eval. Second number listed is the 4/8/12 eval.
Weight: 118lbs | 119lbs  (decreased 1.00 lbs)
Body fat %: 24.15% | 26.65% (decreased 2.5%)
Body fat lbs: 28.49lbs | 31.71lbs (decreased 3.22lbs)
Lean lbs: 89.51lbs | 87.29lbs (increased 2.22lbs)

Pinch test (millimeters):
Chest: 11 | 13 (decreased 2mm)
Abdominal: 26 | 26 (same)
Thigh: 20 | 24 (decreased 4mm)
Triceps: 18 | 20 (decreased 2mm)
Subscapular 14 | 17 (decreased 3mm)
Suprailiac: 16 | 20 (decreased 4mm)
Midaxillary: 18 | 20 (decreased 2mm)

Circumference measurements (inches):
Bicep: 10.5 | 10.75 (decreased 0.25 inches)
Hips: 37.5 | 37.25 (increased 0.25 inches)
Waist: 30.75 | 30.75 (same)
Thigh: 20.5 | 20.5 (same)
Calf: 13 | 13 (same)

Visual Comparison: (comparing photos from week 4 and pre-program)

(Click on photos to view larger)

Relaxed Pose: Changes are subtle, but slight trimming of the abdominal area around the love handles. Also, slight cutting of the upper abs. Definite increase in muscle definition in the thighs. This is why Leigh hasn't lost as much weight as expected. She's increased muscle mass in the lower body. Also, Leigh is wearing makeup in the first photo, and not in the second...or was that obvious?

Relaxed Side Pose: Again, slight trimming through the abdominal area. 

Flexed Pose: Trimming through the abdominal area, arms look about the same. Primary fat loss was in the legs, back, and abdominal areas.


Overall Analysis:


Over the past 4 weeks I've (Matt) been racking my brain trying to figure out why Leigh hasn't been losing more weight. Today it all made sense to me. She actually has put on some lean mass increases in her lower body. One of the reasons why is she had not been working out legs as much prior to starting the I.F. plan. Once we started, I got her in the gym for some heavy squats, etc. Similar to how many of our first time boot campers lose body fat, but see an increase in their thigh and/or hip circumference...she was able to put on some lean muscle quickly due to the drastic change in workout load with those muscles. Other muscle groups in women don't seem to respond as fast to such changes, but the glutes and quads/hamstrings apparently do. Leigh had quite a bit more body fat to lose, so her visual comparisons may not be quite as obvious, but they are definitely there. If I could go back to the beginning of the program, I would have taken photos of her legs. She has significantly more definition there. She lost 4 millimeters on her thigh pinch test, yet her circumference measurement remained the same, which tells me she added muscle or else the fat reduction should have caused a decrease in circumference. While LeanGains suggests a 14 hour fast for women, primarily due to adherence, I'm going to see if Leigh can push for a 15 to 16 hour fasting window to see if that results in further progress.

Scripture for the day:

James 2: 14-19 What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them? Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.” Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds. You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that —and shudder.


One of the best explanations of faith versus works in all of scripture. Salvation has nothing to do with our works, but this passage explains what real faith looks like. Real faith will cause us to do good works. The works don't come first, and they don't save. If someone claims to have faith, but their works aren't consistent with the faith they claim then their faith is false. We should all examine our lives and our works. Are they consistent with the faith we claim? If they are not, we have a conflict that needs to be resolved. Will we resolve to be obedient, and demonstrate the faith we have? Or, do we really have the faith that we claim?

1 comment: