Monday, April 29, 2013

Why do you have Bible verses at the end of all of your posts?

If you have read any of my blog posts since April 20th of last year, you may have noticed that there is a Bible verse and often times a few comments about spiritual matters with each one of my blog updates. I want to re-post why and maybe elaborate on that some. This excerpt is from my post on April 20, 2012:

“My New Commitment:
While preparing for the gym this morning, I checked my Facebook feed and saw a post from my brother Steve that really hit me. It encouraged me, challenged me, and convicted me all at the same time...and it made me think about a way to focus on those things that are of most importance. I definitely believe in the importance of exercise, nutrition, and health...and I think that people who downplay the importance of these things are making excuses. However, serving my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ is of much greater importance...after all, the scripture in I Timothy 4:8 says: "for bodily discipline is only of little profit, but godliness is profitable for all things, since it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come." Does that mean I should quit exercising, and eat whatever I want as long as I'm passing out tracks and doing devotionals...absolutely not! The scripture says bodily discipline is profitable in this life...but obviously not in the life to come. I firmly believe that as Christians, we should serve Christ at ALL times and in everything we do...not just when we are doing "things" that we rank higher on a spiritual chart. Godliness should be obvious in all areas of my life, and it shouldn't be something I "put on" on Sundays. I should be able to serve Christ in all areas of my life, including bodily discipline. Our bodies are a testimony to the Lord, therefore we should take care of them...but there is a line that should be drawn. If obsession with exercise or any other area of my life hinders my relationship with Christ, or damages my testimony, I need to fix that.

Ok...so I'm being a little wordy here, so it's time to get to the point. My new commitment going forward is this: every day that I update the blog, I'm also going to post a passage of scripture as well. I have no plan for which passage I'll post each day, other than not posting the "daily verse" that I get each morning on my Daily Bible App (unless it really speaks to me)...that would be lazy. I have no idea how many people are actually reading my blog, but I truly hope that this will encourage, challenge, and convict you like my brother Steve's post this morning did for me. Thanks Steve...I'm very proud of you!”

Revisiting this commitment renews the challenge of trying to keep my focus and priorities in check. It is obvious that I value health and fitness, and most people who know me can see that. But a far more important question…is it obvious to others that I am a follower of Christ? Are my actions a positive testimony that brings glory to God? Or do people look at me and see nothing different from someone who doesn't know Christ? I enjoy exercising. It has become my hobby, my stress relief, and my social time when working out with friends. I spend a lot of time doing it, and I love it. However, I am ashamed to say I don’t spend as much time as I should in prayer, reading scripture, and being singularly focused on worshiping my God and my Savior. If I’m honest with myself, can I really say that my priorities are in the right order? That is a tough question for me to consider. There is no doubt in my mind that I have not arrived, and I need to daily refocus my priorities on what matters most. Him!

One thing I believe strongly is that God uses those who want to be used for His glory…and He uses people where they are – within their circle of influence, and with the knowledge and faith that they have. If He only intended preachers and missionaries to evangelize and influence those around them, the good news wouldn't go out very far at all. If He only intended believers who have a seminary level scriptural education to disciple others...the good news wouldn't go out very far. I've been given a great opportunity through my interest in health and fitness to form relationships and impact those around me. Am I a useful tool in that regard? Do I draw others closer to Christ, or push them further away? How about you? With your co-workers, friends, workout partners, etc?

Anyway, these things have been on my mind recently, and I hope that they will challenge you as they have challenged me. I’ll sum up this post with a verse that I've posted before, but I feel like I need to be reminded of daily:

Galatians 6:14 “but may it never be that I would boast, except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.” How often do I seek glory for myself and boast in my accomplishments versus giving the Glory to God? Any value in me has been given to me by God, and apart from Christ’s blood…I am worthless.

No comments:

Post a Comment