Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Happy Anniversary to my AMAZING Wife!

Today is my and Leigh's 8th anniversary. Every year I give Leigh some kind of sweet card and tell her I love her...but this year, after contemplating Proverbs 31, I wanted to do something a little different. Proverbs 31:30-31 says, "...a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. Honor her for all that her hands have done, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate."

Therefore, it's time to go public and heap some praise upon my amazing wife by letting everyone else know how incredible she is. I hope you'll read this entire post and maybe gain just a little more appreciation for what a wonderful person Leigh Abele is. I've also thrown some of my favorite photos of her into this blog at random...because everyone loves pictures!

There is not a doubt in my mind that God put the right woman into my life. She is every bit the wife of noble character that the Bible describes in Proverbs 31. She is worth far more than rubies (v10), I have full confidence in her and she lacks nothing of value (v11), she has been good to me everyday (v12), she is a hard worker and she helps provide for our family (v13-15), she is prudent with her finances (v16), she is generous and has a giving heart (v20), there are a lot of great women out there...but Leigh is the best...sorry other ladies (v29), she fears the Lord and is a Godly woman (v30).

On our 8th Anniversary, I thought of 8 specific reasons I love my wife. She is:

  1. Patient - Leigh may not be patient all of the time. But lets be honest, this woman has to put up with me, so you KNOW she's got some patience. (In fact, as I type this, she keeps asking me to come sit with her while she watches the Voice and I keep on putting her off because I'm working on this blog post.) So I love that my wife doesn't throw things at me when I don't come running the second she calls :) 
    Leigh, literally moments after giving birth...wow. October 2010.
  2. Supportive - Leigh has been incredibly supportive of just about everything I've done or tried to do. You ladies don't know how important that is to a man...you really don't. There is something incredibly powerful and motivating knowing that there is a woman who loves, believes in and trusts in you. From my career, my side businesses, even going from a 240lb guy who never exercised to the personal trainer I am now...even when I want to head off to the gym with the guys almost every Saturday morning, Leigh has been supportive every step of the way. 
    Leigh's 30th Birthday in Antigua. February 2013
  3. Selfless - Leigh has the heart of a giver...and her selfless spirit has been a positive influence to me over the years. I admire that she'll go completely out of her way for someone else, and even though at times I feel like I have to reign some of that in, I am incredibly proud that I am married to a woman who truly does put others first.
    After our first Tough Mudder in Georgia. March 2011.
  4. Submissive - If you are one of those ladies out there who feel like the word "submissive" is a bad word...then you don't understand Biblical submission. God knew what he was doing when He told wives that they should be submissive to their husbands...and He knew what He was doing when He told husbands to love their wives. Leigh willingly follows my lead in our marriage...and I appreciate so much that I've got a wife who isn't keeping score, or is always trying to split every last thing right down the middle. It is so much easier to put your wife up on a pedestal when she isn't demanding to be put up on a pedestal :)
    After the RAGNAR Relay in Nashville. November 2012.
  5. Hard working - Leigh has the best work ethic of anyone I know...period. This woman cares so much about doing things the right way, and she works her tail off both at work and at home. Even if it means staying up all night and working 75 hours in a week, while at the same time taking care of me and Kelsey...she'll do it. I'm so blessed to have a diligent, hard working spouse who puts so much effort into her work.
    DJ Leigh working hard on the turntables! April 2012.
  6. Godly woman - My wife loves the Lord, and she is a BIG encouragement to me. I love that she makes her relationship with the Lord a priority, and that Kelsey sees mommy reading her Bible almost every morning. Having a spouse that helps to provide a spiritual and moral compass is a tremendous blessing to me. Simply put, Leigh makes me want to be a better Christian, husband, and father. 
    Notice I put this one right behind Godly woman. I hope that means she will have mercy on me for re-posting this photo from 2010 when she was pregnant with Kelsey. Hahaha...I'm going to get in trouble :)
  7. Easy to look at - This one is pretty obvious...the woman is hot stuff. Yay for me!
    B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L. Sometime in 2005.
  8. Intelligent - Even though Leigh knows when we disagree I'm usually right (...love you honey), she is a pretty smart cookie! It is nice to have a woman to stimulate the intellectual aspects of the relationship...and not just be a pretty thing to look at. Contrary to popular belief...guys actually do want to have a woman that they can talk to. You ladies just have to know when us guys have used up all of our words for the day :) Leigh is pretty good at figuring that out...just one more reason I love her! 
    Destin. October 2009.
Oh yes there are so many more reasons why I love Leigh...she is the mother of my child, and the one on the way. She is funny, caring, gives good back rubs, etc, etc, etc. I could go on and on and go way past 8...but then that would defeat the purpose of having 8 items for our 8th Anniversary now wouldn't it?

Leigh. I love you so much. God has blessed me far beyond what I deserve, and I am so great-full that He saw fit for you to be my wife. Proverbs 18:22 says "He who finds a wife finds what is good and receives favor from the Lord." I don't think the Lord will be upset with me if I say that I have found something GREAT.

Thank you for everything you are to me!
Love, your blessed husband
- Matt


No comments:

Post a Comment